Malachi Barton has been keeping super busy over the last couple of years, and he doesn’t seem to be slowing down!

The 19-year-old actor will be starring in two more upcoming Disney movies (Camp Rock 3 and Zombies 5), and a new TV series on Disney Channel and Disney+ (Coven Academy).

In a new interview with Variety, Malachi opened up about his projects and how long he plans to keep working with Disney. Plus, Disney executives also dished on his star power and working with him!

Still of Malachi Barton playing guitar in Camp Rock 3

Malachi was the first choice to play Fletch in Camp Rock 3

Camp Rock is literally a legendary movie franchise, and you could ask anybody and they’d know what it is,” he dished about the upcoming movie musical. “The fact that I’m able to be a part of this next generation of Camp Rockers is so fun and so sick.”

Malachi was Disney’s first choice for his character Fletch, and he got the call while on tour last year for the Descendants/Zombies: Worlds Collide Tour, which meant he had to miss the rehearsal process and go straight from tour to filming.

“The Camp Rock process was crazy. It was literally so bang-bang-bang,” Malachi said. “I was on tour. We were literally maybe halfway through, and I got the call from Disney. They were like, ‘Hey, so we’re doing another Camp Rock. This is the vibe.’ I was like, ‘OK, let me feel it out.’ I read the script — so fire — but I was on tour.”

While he was exhausted, he didn’t know what to do.

“I felt like I wasn’t in the right mental space to make decisions. Then I finally had a day off. A week later, I called ’em back, like, ‘All right, screw it. Let’s do it.’”


He even got some advice from Joe Jonas, who reprises his role as Shane Gray and executive produces.

“I’m not envious of anyone going through it now,” Joe said, seeing himself in Malachi. “It was tough enough with just the gossip sites commenting on teenagers’ dating lives, but with social media, that’s all heightened now. So I just reminded Malachi that it’s important to remember where you come from, and the reason you started this in the first place.”

Malachi Barton poses for a portrait for IMDb

Malachi was pitched for a smaller role in Coven Academy, but was then written in as a star

Coven Academy creator Tim Federle, known for HSMTMTS and also executive produces Camp Rock 3, recalled a conversation with Ayo Davis, president of Disney Kids & Family, saying he should write a role for him in the series.

“She said, ‘Tim, I haven’t seen a reaction to a young actor like this ever in my career,’” he said. “‘It’s visceral in the room, and you should consider writing him a little role in Coven Academy.’”

“So I created this role, and Malachi read for it — which surprised me, because he’s the kind of actor who’s quickly tipping into offer-only,” Tim shared. “The X factor Malachi has is so undeniable.”

The writer then started writing more material for Malachi “to help headline the series, because show business is about timing and luck and the universe whispering to you. And it was so clear that he has something incredibly special that you can’t teach.”

Prior to filming the show, Tim had a conversation with Malachi about his future.

“I said, ‘Malachi, your audience is growing up. I think it’d be great for you to start growing up with them. Ground it. Shake off anything multi-cam. Just be a guy. Step into your greatness by actually doing less,” he recalled. “This is a single camera; it’s on you, and the camera does a lot of the work. Just trust that you’re enough.’ And I give him credit. He really, I think, trusted me, did less and was amazing. My experience with him is that he really wants to be pushed, and he doesn’t want to coast.”

When asked if he’s had offers for more adult projects, Malachi notes that he has had some things come in, but the young adult Coven Academy is a good stepping stone for him.

“I got to tap into a little bit of like a psychopath. I’m crying, we’re fighting, we’re kissing — all the things of older television that I’m really excited for,” he teased.

Still of Malachi Barton in Zombies 4: Dawn of the Vampires

Malachi Barton reveals how long he’ll keep working with Disney

In addition to Camp Rock 3 and Coven Academy, Malachi is also set to reprise his role in Zombies: Secrets of the Sea. He’s also going back on tour with the second round of the Worlds Collide Tour with some of his Camp Rock and Zombies co-stars, as well as Descendants franchise stars.

When asked how long he’ll continue working with Disney, Malachi says the door is wide open for him!

“Dude, as long as they’ll have me! I’ve literally grown up in the Disney bubble, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world,” he said. “I’m trusting God’s plan, and I’m hanging out with Mickey Mouse right now, and it’s fun.”

The post Malachi Barton Talks Upcoming Disney Projects & How Long He’ll Keep Working With the Company appeared first on Just Jared Jr..